Academic operating system
How can I assist my low-SES Ss to succeed in school? Eric Jensen (@EricJensenBrain) suggests the following skills form the foundation and give the ability to counteract the negative effects of poverty.
1. Can defer gratification and strive to meet long-term goals
2. Auditory, visual, tactile processing skills
3. Attention skills (can engage, focus, disengage)
4. Short-term memory (and working) capacity
5. Know the order of a process (sequencing)
The real question: How do I, as an educator, help train/improve their brain operating system?
To be continued…